Chelsea, a team of many talents, and Thomas Tuchel’s second attempt to win Champions League
Chelsea is probably quite surprised to play in the semi-final of UEFA Champions League. It is not that Chelsea doesn’t have the players or capacity to do so. By all means, they have a staggering number of top talents in their rank.
In last summer transfer, Chelsea was the highest spending club. They brought in top talents from many places. Timo Werner from RB Leipzig, Kai Havertz from Bayer Leverkusen, Hakim Ziyech from Ajax, Thiago Silva from PSG, Ben Chilwell from Leicester are big names coming in the squad in the last transfer. Apart from this, Chelsea on their own has considerable talent in midfield. Mason Mount has become a talismanic figure with an uncanny match-winning capacity for a young player. Christian Pulisic, Mateo Kovacic, Ngolo Kante, Jorginho are also options in the midfield. In defence, Antonio Rudiger, Kurt Zouma, Azpilicueta, Reece James, Marcus Alonso, Christiansen are regular contenders for a starting berth. In goal, another new transfer Eduardo Mendy is probably the most successful transfer for Chelsea this season. Mendy who came to the club after consultation with legendary Petr Cech has taken the number one spot in the team quite easily from the faltering Kepa Arrizabalaga. In attack, veteran Giroud is accompanied by the home-grown Tammy Abraham. So, this is not a team to consider lightly. Chelsea has exceptional squad depth with many capable players in various positions. So, there should not be any surprise if Chelsea qualifies for the UCL semi-final. But there was. This is largely due to the situation of the team in the last days under recently departed Frank Lampard as manager.
Chelsea has performed tremendously after take over of the club by Roman Abramovich. Abramovich has invested a lot of money in the squad since the start. Their first success came in the Premier League under Jose Mourinho in the first decade of the new century. Since then Chelsea has won many trophies, few Premier League as well as one Champions League.
Their latest European success came under Maurizio Sarri in the Europa League, which they won in 2018-19. But Sari’s success came at a very difficult time. The main creative force of the team Eden Hazard was poised to join Real Madrid while Sari went on to Juventus. In addition to this, Chelsea at that moment was facing a transfer ban due to Financial Fairplay rules under UEFA. Amidst all these difficulties, the announcement of Frank Lampard as head coach for Chelsea came as a surprise for many. Lampard scarcely had any experience in first team football management let alone management of a Premier League club like Chelsea. But Lampard took the opportunity leaving Derby County. After that, Frank Lampard attempted a splendid thing. He tried, probably for the first time in the club’s history after take over by Abramovich, to gel together a squad depending mostly on home-grown young talents. This yielded results for the first season with Chelsea finishing fourth in Premier League and gaining Champions League qualification, which was the stated objective of the club hierarchy. The transfer window before the 2020-21 season saw an influx of all the above-mentioned players after lifting of the transfer ban. But Chelsea’s performance started to somewhat destabilize with shock defeats coming in the Premier League one after another. This faltering performance of the squad saw a rise in rumours about disagreement between Lampard and higher management. It was said that Lampard never wanted such massive star players, at least not as many as Chelsea procured in the transfer window.
Amidst this rumour, Frank Lampard was sacked by Roman Abramovich. Abramovich has always been the lord of knee-jerk reactions in modern football with Chelsea experiencing the highest variations in managerial position among the top English clubs. Their first Champions League trophy came under Roberto Di Matteo, who took the responsibility mid-season after sacking Andre Villas Boas. Thomas Tuchel came in after Lampard’s exit and since then, Chelsea’s team has shown much more stabilized performance in the league as well as in cup competition. Recently, Chelsea defeated Manchester City to reach the FA Cup final.
It has recently been a trend in the Premier League to appoint German coaches. Tuchel’s appointment can be viewed as part of this trend. Tuchel is quite experienced in terms of Champions League football with his club PSG playing in the final last season. His managerial tactics mix the newly trending German attacking football with considerable solidity in defensive positions. In Chelsea, Tuchel’s primary influence has been stabilizing the performance of the team. The defensive leakage that so much haunted the last days of Lampard’s management has been stopped with Chelsea keeping clean sheets in almost every other match. Tuchel was sacked by PSG in the middle of this season. PSG is contention for a berth in UCL final. They will be playing against Pep Guardiola’s Manchester City, who has been knocked out by Chelsea in the FA Cup. This should keep Chelsea’s new German coach confident to beat Zinedine Zidane’s Real Madrid, the most decorated club in Champions League history in the semi final. Tuchel will very much want to win the semi-final against Real Madrid to face his old club in the final. Whether he will be able to do so can only be seen this week when the first leg of semi-final of UEFA Champions League starts.
How to watch live stream of the event?
Chelsea has made quite a following in the last decade. Its style of play in the new millennium has influenced fans across the globe and thus, watching them play in the UCL semis could be an exciting prospect for these fans. If appropriate live-stream details are what you need, we are here to give you that!
- Fans across the UK can access the blitzkrieg action from the UCL semis and watch Chelsea putting their everything if they have a subscription of BT Sports. BT Sports holds the exclusive live-stream rights of the UCL in the UK. You can add a BT Sports subscription to your prior subscription of BT TV, BT Broadband, Sky, TalkTalk TV, or Virgin Media by paying an additional 10 GBP monthly. Alternatively, you can grab the BT Sports day pass at just 9.99 GBP, weekly pass at just 14.99 GBP and monthly pass at only 33.99 GBP. It will open the gateway to an exciting share of possibilities for you!
- The football fans of the US can live-stream the UCL semis action featuring Chelsea if they have a subscription to the CBS All Access platform. The subscription packages are priced at 9.99 USD (commercial-free) and 5.99 USD (with commercials). You can also go forward with the reputed TV-streaming services like fuboTV and Sling TV to get your hands on the CBS All Access. While the former costs 59.99 USD per month, the latter has the Orange and the Blue bundles that separately cost 30 USD per month and the combo bundle costs only 45 USD per month. Both these tv streaming services offer a 7-day free trial.
- Canadians can access the best of UCL semis action using the live-stream options offered by the DAZN network at just 20 CAD monthly or 150 CAD annually.
- For the Aussies, it is always Optus Sport for the live-stream action of the UCL. The subscription comes at a meager cost of 14.99 AUD per month.
- The Indians can access the live-stream of the UCL via the SONY TEN Network and the Sony Liv OTT streaming app.
- NordVPN, ExpressVPN and CyberGhost will come to your rescue if you are stuck in a place with a geo-block and can’t access the live-stream of the UCL normally.
- Reddit is an excellent social platform that offers you the freedom to live-stream the best of sports content for free. You can simply download the app, sign up, login with your credentials and find the relevant subreddits to live-stream the action for free!